Technical Lead (Engineer #1)
< See all jobs
To apply, send a resumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: 'Application: Technical Lead’
Full-Time | Brooklyn, NY | Start date Summer 2020
Zencare is a small women-led team doing big things in the mental health world – we are a marketplace that helps thousands of young adults and working professionals find their ideal talk therapist.
Zencare started as a solution to a common problem: it's really difficult to find a therapist online. Zencare streamlines the process and empowers therapy-seekers through up-to-date availability and insurance information, introductory videos, and a vetted network to ensure quality care.
About the role
Zencare is looking for a full-stack software engineer to join our team as our Technical Lead!
As Zencare’s first full-time engineer hire, you will report directly to the CEO and have a huge impact on the success of our company. We have worked with a development team and a technical advisor to date, and are excited to bring on a full-time lead engineer to help scale and bring our technical platform to new heights!
In your first 6-12 months, you should expect to...
- Deploy new features to Zencare’s public-facing website to improve UX for therapy seekers and improve SEO
- Build a client portal for therapy seekers, scheduling tool, and messaging tool to facilitate communication with providers
- Improve and build upon our therapist-facing member portal to increase functionality and encourage therapist community
- Build internal features that directly support our Operations and Client Success teams
- Be involved in major product and company decisions
Why you’ll love Zencare and our team
- First engineer hire. As our first full-time engineer hire, you'll play a major role in the direction of our company, the experience that therapy seekers and therapists have with our website, and the speed by which we can grow.
- Mission-driven team. If you thrive on working hard towards a shared mission together with an ambitious, collaborative, and supportive team, this is the place for you.
- Proven profitable marketplace. The chance to join a profitable, early-stage startup that has a five year track record of product-market fit in major U.S. cities and take it national.
- Work directly with the CEO. Yuri is a former McKinsey consultant and Brown University alum, and is committed to your professional development and self-improvement. She is well-versed in front-end code, wrote much of Zencare’s first website in HTML and CSS, and has experience working with engineering teams.
- Impact on mental health. The opportunity to fundamentally change the mental health landscape and improve the search for a therapist. We're passionate about increasing access to quality mental health care and will continue rapidly expanding our reach to help as many therapy seekers as we can.
- Exciting work every day! Zencare is growing rapidly and constantly evolving. Lots of teamwork, daily check-ins, and collaborative problem solving.
- 4+ years professional experience as a software developer
- Strong eye for detail, ability to execute on pixel-perfect designs, and robust background in CSS
- Comfort with modern reactive frontend (React, Riot, Vue)
- Comfort with back-end technologies (our back-end is Hapi.js), especially proper database design
- Experience managing scalable systems in the cloud (e.g., AWS, Jenkins)
- Knowledge of proper secure data storage best practices to keep client data safe
- Ability to write well-tested, readable, and maintainable code
- A deep belief in automation and doing things the right way the first time
- An opinion about what code to test and how to test it
- Well-rounded experience with small software teams and desire to get your hands dirty
- Great communication skills, particularly with non-technical team members
- Personal passion for mental health and increasing access to quality care
- You've successfully built something from nothing (a company, an idea, a feature, etc.)
- You’re self-motivated, hardworking, reliable, and have a strong work ethic
- You bring a can-do attitude, and are a positive, humble, respectful team player.
- Experience in health tech, including familiarity with HIPAA requirements
- Familiarity with SEO: server-side rendering, semantic markups, and lighthouse audits
- Experience working at a fast-paced, growing startup
- Experience building a marketplace or SaaS platform
Compensation and benefits
- Compensation: $90K - $110K per year & 3% - 6% equity
- Team lunches and outings with an ambitious, mission-driven, collaborative, and supportive team.
- Please note visa sponsorship is not available.
To apply, send a resumé and cover letter to email@example.com with subject line: 'Application: Technical Lead'